Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SP map mods for FFA/TDM

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default SP map mods for FFA/TDM

I have been having some fun with adding things like indy crates, nazi banners, teleports and such to SP maps setup for FFA/TDM. It's nice in that no one has to download anything to play them. But, I have come across an issue that I don't know how to resolve. It involves the map M6L2B. Not the forest section but the Snowy Train Station. How do I get the map to "draw" (or be viewable) to a longer distance? I have gotten rid of the ambient stuff and replaced with less "fog" and a night sky. It seems to help the "view" some but, certain things that I would like to be seen from a relative short distance (compared to the distance I can see on other maps) are not there. Excluding the added objects, where is what I have......

Code:
    ffatype:

setcvar "g_obj_alliedtext1"   "Map Name: M6L2B" 
    	setcvar "g_obj_alliedtext2" ""
    	setcvar "g_obj_alliedtext3"  "Snowy Rail Station"

setcvar "g_obj_axistext1" "Modded by"
    	setcvar "g_obj_axistext2" "[AoD]"
    	setcvar "g_obj_axistext3" "Dude Lebowski" 

setcvar "g_scoreboardpic" "textures/mohmenu/briefing/briefing6a.tga" 

waitthread ffa_spawns

level waittill prespawn

//if(level.loaded != 1)
    		//{
    		//exec soundfix/mapswitch.scr
    		//}

exec global/DMprecache.scr

//exec global/ambient.scr m6l2b

//$world farplane 7000
    	$world farplane 20000
    	//$world farplane_color (.333 .333 .329)
    	$world farplane_color ( 0 0 0 )

level waittill spawn

waitthread setup_game

thread Map_Guard

level.clockside = kills

I was guessing that "$world farplane" was what I needed to increase to get what I wanted but, no luck. Any suggestions????? Trial and error is a PITA. Particularly when I don't know what I'm really doing.
    http://aodmohaaclan.clanservers.com/public_html/Xnull Sig.jpg

Yep farplane and farplanecolor does it for u
    but try this
    setcvar "fov" "decimal"
    That's Field Of View

I'll give it a try.....THANKS

I tried it.....No joy. From what I read (web search) about the fov cvar is that it will adjust the width of what one sees and not the depth. But, it didn't do that either. The line I added looked like this....... setcvar "fov" "150"

I can adjust the farplane number down and limit the distance but, no matter how high I take it, the map itself isn't being seen any further away. From what I am seeing, the farplane distance and color settings only adjust the ambient or backgound color and distance, not the the map itself.

Maybe I'm not explaining it well. Lets say I am looking at a wall with trees behind it. I start 5 "steps" away from the wall. When I move back 20 "steps", the trees disappear (not fade away like the farplane setting will do). That isn't that great of a distance. How can I set it up (provided I can) to where I can see the trees at 30 "steps" away?

Ok i'll see when i'm free for . purple or shadow may know it
    sry exams u know
    , lol u can count ur steps in game XD

I thought I would post a couple screenshots to help show what I am talking about. Looking at the tunnel in the distance, you can see it, then take a step back and it's gone. This distance isn't near as far away as it is on other maps. Any fixes????
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shot0000.jpg   shot0001.jpg  

I took a look in the original m6l2b.scr file from the pak5.pk3 folder and can't find anything there. Though, admittedly, I'm not sure what I am looking for. Nothing looks like it would control what I am wanting. Maybe it just can't be done. But there has to be some line or two somewhere that does. Maybe just not through the scr file.

I think it has to do with the engine rendering. It might just be a glitch. For example I remember in Southern France I could get the sun to shine through a closed door.
    I think with regards to what you're saying, it's due to the cull\fog.. The game restricts and blocks certain things from rendering from a specific distance. At least that's my thought. This is to preserve the amount of things rendered. Any way, it's probably compiled into the map not into an scr necessarily. There are tools out there that exist that allow you to decompile map bsp's (into editable *.map files) then you would recompile using mohradiant.

Try using the tools I attached to decompile the bsp into a map and take a look at the *.map file. Typically the fog and rendering related stuff is towards the top of the map.

Hope it helps.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks James. That's the same conclusion I was I was arriving at, rendering (I couldn't think of that word and used "draw" instead) at the bsp file level. I appreciate the effort but as it is, scr files fry my mind and looking at bsp files and playing a little bit with MoHRadiant, I'm sure it would make my mind explode. At this point, it's livable with the farplane settings in the scr file. I am only self taught and right now, only comfortable with modding scr files, with regard to map mods.

Here is the extent of my mapping skill (also self taught)

Use bsp2map to decompile the map you want to a .map file. Once the file is decompiled, open it with a text editor.
    To make it easier to read, I use an application called edit plus. It has syntax highlighting and it's very light weight (not a big application), however there are free apps you can use as well such as notepad++ that do the same thing.

Any way, open it up in your preferred text editor, and you'll see a bunch of stuff in the beginning of the header. Further down you'll see a bunch of x,y,z coordinates with brushes\textures at the end, you probably don't need to worry about this. Just look at the first few lines at the top of that *.map file.

I'll try and take a look bit later for you at that map. Don't have MOHAA installed on this current pc.