Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SP map mods for FFA/TDM

I got it converted and opened up simply in "notebook". The top part looks like this......

Code:
    // Entity #0
    {
    "map_time" "Tue Nov 27 22:31:44 2001"
    "suncolor" "15 15 20"
    "ambientlight" "5 5 5"
    "classname" "worldspawn"
    "sundirection" "-70 110 0"
    "sunflarename" "none"
    "farplane" "1600"
    "farplane_color" ".1 .1 .12"
    "message" "The Schmerzen Express"
    The rest of the way down the file is just like you said. Repetitive (with subtle changes) all the way down. Maybe have a m6l2b.bsp file with a different farplane value wrapped up in my map mod pk3 file? I obviously have no idea what I am doing or looking at.
    http://aodmohaaclan.clanservers.com/public_html/Xnull Sig.jpg

Map time is used for sp only
    Sun color is used to set the color of the sun ! in this logic "red green blue"
    Ambient light is the same for sun color
    Classname is used for brushes in radiant , wont help u

Sun direction is used to set the direction of the sun ! in this logic "x y z"

Sun flare name , Idk whts it
    message is for sp too , U don't need it

all these settings can be modified in scr by
    $world variable value
    Ex
    $world suncolor "12 3 9"
    But it doesn't help u at all
    and this is rendering issue b/c any model that u spawn isn't apart of bsp file
    and if u complied the .map to .bsp (which is impossible due to errors )
    The player won't see it , but he can't go through it if it was solid
    Idk if this have a fix somewhere in the game
    hope we would know ,lol

It's not a problem with that model(tunnel) being spawned.. I think it's the farplace stuff.

Code:
    "farplane" "1600"
    "farplane_color" ".1 .1 .12"
    The 1600 is the distance in game. You can try increasing this number to see if this helps visibility and stop the tunnel from disappearing.

Also @Ryback, Stock MOHAA doesn't check file consistency at all. That's part of the reason STWH was even possible in the very beginning. When I first came across that exploit, I did it exactly by decompiling a stock map, making changes to the parameters in the map and then just recompiled it and voila... So it's definitely not impossible to recompile from .map to bsp.

Also any models that are loaded in the game, are loaded serverside via the map. That tunnel is just a brush (texture)... It's not the rendering of the file that is the concern, it's how the file is being rendered and that's all in the engine. The farplane stuff I'm sure has something to do with it.

If you remember back in my OP, I was messing with the "farplane" values in the .scr file. I could change the value for both color and distance and see the change but, it's not influencing the rendering distance. It's kinda like being able to change the color of the air (due to rain, fog, snow, etc) and how far away it is from the player. Change the distance down to 500 and the color to 0 0 0 and it's like being outside during a new moon (very dark and close). Up the distance value and it's the same except it being a full moon (still dark but can see farther). As you bring the color value up from 0 0 0 , it become more and more like daytime. I hope that explanation makes sense.

What kind of video card do you have and what's your fps? Maybe your card just can't render it that far. I remember when I upgraded my video card a while ago, it significantly improved the game. Not only am I able to run it with all maxed settings but I get an fps over 1000. So everything was rendered beautifully and from far distances.

The only thing I can think of is there is a limitation somewhere between the rendering ont he video card and the game engine.

1000fps? You must have some alien tech sourced from NASA. Depending on the person, anything above 40-50fps and the frame rate is undetectable. I use 256mb video memory and run at around 95fps in game but, the HDMI monitor only handles 60HZ (or fps) as most do. I really don't think it's video hardware. Remember when this game was written and what the tech was at that time. I think it's some rendering value in the software somewhere. Given that the original ambient and farplane settings, there was no need to render any more than what it is. Being a SP map, there wasn't the need to see any better than what it was but with it as a DM map, it helps to be able to see farther and the farplane values help with that. If the SP version was written to have "clearer weather", I'm sure it would render farther. I obviously don't know that for a fact but, it seems logical. Why render something if it can't been seen for the weather?

The human eye can only see a max of 60fps.
    My card is a gtx 660 is I remember correctly and I removed the maxfps cap so depending on the map, I max out at 2666.67 FPS.

EDIT:

Just had Leyok try this out and he was able to replicate the issue so my best guess is the following.
    1. The vis\area portals are preventing the visibility (this is done to optimize game play)
    2. There might be hint brush used to also limit the visability for optimization reasons.

When you exit out of the map and areanum = -1, everything appears.

I was on T/S with another clan member a couple days ago and showed him, in the game, what I was talking about. He could see (or not see!) it as well. I still don't understand how Frames Per Second (FPS) makes any difference once it gets above 60. If the monitor can't reproduce it and the human eye can't see it, where is the point.

I just downloaded the unnamedsoldier.cfg file for the server (default Gameservers file) and it was empty. What is the file suppose to do?

Resurrection! Sorry... lol

Probably won't be a help to anyone but just saw this and had to respond.

The sky is black because it uses common/caulksky for the skybox, which is used for foggy levels when you want your sky to match the farplane colour.

It isn't rendering because they have 1024 * 1024 size manual vis leafgroups all over the map that cull the map around the player. Not that I think they necessarily needed it when the fog culls it for you but meh. So James was right.

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The human eye can only see a max of 60fps.
    Myth. Going from a 60Hz monitor to 144Hz is like night and day.

**Runs back to present day**
    Last edited by 1337Smithy; February 6th, 2019 at 02:15 AM.

I've been known to make mistakes, but I have read that somewhere a long time ago.