Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: GameSpy Issue - IMPORTANT

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ber Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Exclamation GameSpy Issue - IMPORTANT

Here's the message from http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pricing/

Effective May 31, 2014, GameSpy will cease providing all hosted services for all games still using GameSpy.
    If you have any questions about how this impacts your favorite title please contact the games publisher for more information.

Thanks for a great ride!
    - See more at: http://www.poweredbygamespy.com/pric....n1g2Uox9.dpuf
    This impacts MoH:AA a lot! I don't want to spread bad news but Quake3 Engine had it's own MasterServer support, but they removed it from MoH:AA engine and replaced it with GameSpy MasterServer which is totally different.

I was aware that this day will come. That's why I focused on creating our own master server and plugins for web browsers for quick joining them.

Quoted text means that May 31 will be the end of in-game server browser and any external tool that queried MoH:AA servers from GSMasterServer.

Things that can be done about this:

- We can write own GSMasterServer emulator using their protocol. Then we would need to tell everyone to use our patcher that would patch MoH:AA client to use new URL that would point to our master server. (http://aluigi.org/papers.htm#enctypex)

- Tell everyone to use our Reborn patch to host servers. Reborn patch has support for our own master server that we wrote together with own3mall. In-game server browser still won't work, but players will be able to join servers from website if they install FF plugin or type IP directly.

- Tell everyone to use our Reborn patch and release stable version of the client to this date that will have In-game browser that will use our master

In case we won't be on time with 3rd option, we need to create plugin for Chrome too (it will also cover new Opera, or it should) so players clicking on the server record on the website can automatically start mohaa and join the server.

We should also think how to contact as much people as we can on many different websites about situation. Maybe we should contact XFire to add support for our master server?

We need to make some decisions and start acting much earlier than week before 31 May.

I hope we can release server and client with full 1.12 support to this date, but I think that we should develop this plugin for Chrome in case this won't be possible.
    Also I think we should have a new domain like: mohaareborn, mohreborn, mohaa or whatever that will be more recognized among the players and from where everyone could download official releases of our patch and where the server browser could be found.

EDIT: I hope we can make some decisions together, and start acting from upcoming monday. For example we should create one answer to this situation and post it everywhere we can.

If we won't do anything about this, I'm very afraid that ClanBase death + GameSpy death + MOHAAC death (yes it's dead) = MoH:AA death or very reduced player base.

Sending a message to Xfire about this is a great idea and hopefully it'll work.
    But if needed, I myself (and probably others) know a lot of forums, and will be sure to post what's going to happen and what to do on every forum (when we reach a solution).
    New name will probably be good as people won't be able to associate xNULL with MoH:AA and/or Reborn that easily. We have a brief window to act upon so we must put effort into this.

Default регистрация по месту пребывания для школы

Временная Прописка Для Записи В Школу где сделать? информация о ходе рассмотрения вашего запроса Волгоград Новосибирск Улан-Удэ Новокузнецк Тамбов Нижневартовск Рыбинск Норильск Кызыл Невинномысск Бердск

The fact that MoH:AA is closed source doesn't help in situation like this. Quake scene is still alive because even if official master servers died, it still has bigger community potential thanks to the source being released.

Just so we have some form of list current snap shot I will create a server list of all available servers this will become out of date quick but at least will have the long time running servers to reference

I will also create a server registration form on AAAA just so players have some where to list servers and post ones they about

Not saying this is a solution but just to capture what we can while we can to buy more time for a working solution

Registration will not work, people are lazy, people won't know etc. It has to be automated process and I think you will just lose time on doing some very temporary solution.

Keep in mind that there's a lot of casual players that just start the game and enter server without browsing for some websites etc. When it will stop working, some of them will try to find out "why" and we have to prepare website under good domain name, so they can find us and see solutions - simple and fast ones.

It's also true that some people won't bother at all and will stop to play. I'm sure it will be like this unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Razo[R]apiD View Post
    Registration will not work, people are lazy, people won't know etc. It has to be automated process and I think you will just lose time on doing some very temporary solution.

Keep in mind that there's a lot of casual players that just start the game and enter server without browsing for some websites etc. When it will stop working, some of them will try to find out "why" and we have to prepare website under good domain name, so they can find us and see solutions - simple and fast ones.

It's also true that some people won't bother at all and will stop to play. I'm sure it will be like this unfortunately.
    Yeh Agree but as I said this was not a solution but will be something better than nothing if other options are still being developed at the cut off date........

All I have done is create a Server entry form - have presented with Optional clan info so on AAAA we will use it more for clans and the community stuff but also can be used for server info...........

Its basic and not created any index lists but its up and running but the data will be used on AAAA side so not a lost cause if you see what I mean.................

Example -:
    http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/aaaa/forums...-and-clans.46/

New Server Entry http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/aaaa/forums.../create-thread

There is one more possibility:

If we create GSMasterServer emulator, we can tell people to update their hosts file, to redirect old game spy addresses to our emulated one instead of asking to patch stuff before 1.12 release.

This is sad news, but it could also be a VERY big potential to make the Reborn patch BIG!!!!
    When Gamespy officially closes down, Reborn will be the only thing that will allow the community to continue... That being said, I agree with RR it is absolutely crucial that we start advertising/marketing our project and the patch because if this is the last hope for being able to join MP servers, then it should be broadcasted.