Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ping low by CMD (Windows), high ping within MOHAA.

Unhappy Ping low by CMD (Windows), high ping within MOHAA.

Coincidentally I have this problem:

-When I ping by CMD (Windows) to the server's MOHAA IP: ping = 140 (approximate)
    -Ping within MOHAA: ping = 230 (approximate)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ping.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	1872

Someone, happened for the same?
    I do not think it's only with mohaa, it must happen with many other games and softwares.

I've observed the same thing and made a post about it as well here https://www.x-null.net/forums/showth...ght=#post32633

Normally you can expect upto +10ms than from command prompt but yours is surely way higher. Try to play around with the cvars mentioned in the post and see if that helps.

I think is because when you are on the game you dont have the same bandwith as outside of game.

But on the screenshots your not too mutch far from the server ping (windows 150 ping ).

This is a guess on my part, but there is probably a lot of packet transfers when you're playing games so to optimize this; packets are compressed and decompressed....
    Also it depends on packet size... when you do a ping, you're send a default packet size of about 64 bytes. This is tiny... I have no idea how big game packets are, but I'm sure they hold much more data than 64 bytes.

@James: Infact, I had done packet capturing (using wireshark) on MOHAA some time back to assess the packet size and transfer rate resulting in change of certain cvar values. Those are pretty much small packets if I can recall correctly around 100 bytes.

@feralv: As James said, packet processing does take some time and therefore I mentioned that +10ms margin. Do try those variables from clean unnamedsoldier.cfg file and let us know about the results.

Quote Originally Posted by anspectrum View Post
    I've observed the same thing and made a post about it as well here https://www.x-null.net/forums/showth...ght=#post32633

Normally you can expect upto +10ms than from command prompt but yours is surely way higher. Try to play around with the cvars mentioned in the post and see if that helps.
    Definitely the cvars can not with this problem, since you say and that the cvars can get you down as much as 10 ms. but the problem is very different

when the ping is (230 ms) in MOHAA, per cmd is (140 ms)

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleKill View Post
    I think is because when you are on the game you dont have the same bandwith as outside of game.

But on the screenshots your not too mutch far from the server ping (windows 150 ping ).

very far, it can vary up to 10 ms (approximate)

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    This is a guess on my part, but there is probably a lot of packet transfers when you're playing games so to optimize this; packets are compressed and decompressed....
    Also it depends on packet size... when you do a ping, you're send a default packet size of about 64 bytes. This is tiny... I have no idea how big game packets are, but I'm sure they hold much more data than 64 bytes.
    It's casual, as I said, sometimes it happens (very different ping) and sometimes not (I have the same ping per cmd and in mohaa).

It's very strange:
    Once, I have run mohaa.exe, in two different windows on the same PC,
    with the "Sandboxie" program (both as administrator); in one I had 50 ping and in another 100.

This cvars I have it like this:
    mushroom cl_maxpackets "15"

with what he has reduced by 10 ms

lol @ mushroom. Sorry, but google translated messed up. haha.

Unfortunately I don't really have an answer for you. The network framework might need to be optimized or something, but I don't really have a good answer for you. You're right, it's unlikely that changing a few cvars will lower your ping by 100ms, but it's still worth a try. If a cvar like "snaps" can make your ping 999, then surely cvars make some kind of difference.