Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Linux - Can't Get to Run in 32-bit Mode on Virtual Machine.

Default Ubuntu Linux - Can't Get to Run in 32-bit Mode on Virtual Machine.

Hello.
    I have been offline for some time now while I wait until I am financially able to subscribe to an ISP so I have been spending much time performing offline activities and projects. One project of mine is to explore Linux via a virtual machine installation. I have installed Ubuntu Linux v9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) on my Virtual Box virtual machine. Yes, I know it is an older version but it is the only version that I have on a disk until I can get full access to the Internet again. I have yet to post over at the forums for the virtual machine host, Virtualbox, since there are already similar posts about this issue with no working solutions. I did a small amount of research and seen that there seems to be little to no solutions to my issue.

My issue is that I cannot seem to figure out how to get Linux to run in 32-bit mode color. When I run the Linux OS via Virtualbox, I get the following notice via a popup window:

The virtual machine window is optimized to work in 32 bit color mode but the color quality of the virtual display is currently set to 16 bit.
    Please open the display properties dialog of the guest OS and select a 32 bit color mode, if it is available, for best possible performance of the virtual video subsystem.
    Note. Some operating systems, like OS/2, may actually work in 32 bit mode but report it as 24 bit (16 million colors). You may try to select a different color quality to see if this message disappears or you can simply disable the message now if you are sure the required color quality (32 bit) is not available in the given guest OS.

I have tried many of the solutions that I have found online but none seem to work. As far as I know, there is no option to enable 32-bit color in Linux. When in display settings, I am only able to use the resolution 800x600 or lower. I also am unable to enable any visual effects on Linux.

Has anyone ever had this issue (while running on a vm)? Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    electrickrypt
    Last edited by electrickrypt; November 6th, 2013 at 09:13 AM.
    "This bullet is... fOR YOUR CRANIUM!™""
    fYCcreationZ™

You have installed the package for the display drivers?
    If you dont have installed install the guest additions package from the virtual machine

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleKill View Post
    You have installed the package for the display drivers?
    If you dont have installed install the guest additions package from the virtual machine
    Thanks for the response. I will reinstall the package for the virtual machine and see if I did not install fully. I know I did a custom installation and (thought I) chose only what was required to run properly.
    "This bullet is... fOR YOUR CRANIUM!™""
    fYCcreationZ™

Install the virtual box guest additions.
    Browse MOHAA Servers Post GameSpy Era

VISIT MOHREBORN.COM FOR LATEST INFORMATION

Medal of Honor: Game Server Browser Fixer - Patches your MOHAA, MOHSH, and MOHBT game binaries to allow you to retrieve a list of game servers within the multi-player menu in-game even after GameSpy ceases operation!

Medal of Honor: Query Launcher - Find, browse, organize, join, get your ping, and get more information regarding all Medal of Honor (AA, SH, & BT) servers from your PC at any time!
    Medal of Honor: Web Server Master List - Find and browse all Medal of Honor servers online using your browser!
    Add your Medal of Honor Server to the Master List
    YouTube Video for Medal of Honor: Query Launcher and MOHAASERVERS.TK!

MOHAA Mods and Utilities
    OwN-3m-All's Mods
    Make Me Stock - A program that allows you to easily move-in and move-out non-stock mods and other files at the click of a button. Automates adding / removing mods without having to copy / move files manually.

Quality Game Servers

Rent dedicated Dallas Texas, Kansas City, Las Vegas Nevada, Chicago, Pennsylvania, and Sofia Bulgaria MOHAA and other game servers from We Be HostiN starting at $10 a month.

Im going to change from windows to linux to.... can i get some advice and tips?

i guess i need to backup my chipset and drivers for pc becease everything has to be manual installen on linux?, more things a windows user will get some problems with?, can i run mohaa on it and what issues can i get if i never used linux before?

and what linux version is the best for a starter?... ubuntu?

I'd say Ubuntu.

well, basically linux differentiates only in the used kernel, what you probably is asking is what distro of linux to use. For example there is ubuntu for desktop clients and ubuntu for servers, but you can also manually add or change the functionality to a ubuntu for desktop version that makes it a ubuntu for servers (correct me if im on wrong track here).
    Personally I think suse linux suits me most as its provides working ways im used to.

As the curious person I am why you want to switch to linux anyways ?

I myself haven't found my way using linux on desktop compi that is Im just to much inbound into windows world and 2nd. as the guy who likes to play games its been a problem on linux platform - (I know you can use wine for most stuff but why would I want to go through config trouble when I just can use the original and then click and go)

I agree with Joto. I think Linux is a great OS, however gor 99% of the stuff most consumers use a pc for, Windows or Mac would be the suggested OS. The biggest advantage Windows has to any other OS is that it has the most application support. You can use WINE or Virtualbox or other emulators, but it won't run the same and sometimes it requires a hell of a lot of tweaking.

Personally, I use Windows for programming/gaming and I use my macbook pro for everything else (music, videos, internet and just everyday use)

Each OS has it's advantages and disadvantages, but for gaming, it would be silly to use a native OS to play games (unless you're using it to host a dedicated server). Playing games, you're just better off on Windows. Hosting on the other hand, I'd say Linux.