View Poll Results: Do you use some form of generic login/register id service such as Openid

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I will post what I use on this thread

1 20.00%
  • No I dont and will not

1 20.00%
  • No I dont but would consider it if it was supported on many sites

2 40.00%
  • No - I dont because its not supported on many sites

1 20.00%

Thread: Openid sign on tools and a likes

Default Openid sign on tools and a likes

mmmm this is a grey area for me as a user never bothered with openid and a likes many systems will link in to third part sites such as facebook, twitter, google and so on - so I just had a search around and theirs shit loads all fighting for their share and many using openid and their own and so on..........

So I was looking at what I could and should support on shared id's such as openid but from I have seen its a flocking cat fight and no one winning not even google or Facebook..............

So the bottom line is from I have seen their is no clear winner for this and all these look like flops heres another one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RADIUS never heard of it but there are many

But as a user yeh it sucks site after site register login and bloody passwords......So as a site admin wanted to provide a better service but I just cant see a trend on this of anyone using these services its all low scale so if on AAAA I supported one I dont expect it would get used and if a provided the top 10 still dont see this kind of thing been used yet as a user I think it is needed but the web full of it and none a success

So just wanted to do a quick poll to see if anyone was using or keen or the same is me as no clear winner and all will fail but we all want it if secure and easy and widely available
    Last edited by heatsinkbod; October 9th, 2013 at 12:44 PM.

Wouldnt bother with openID as I think its not much used and not worth the effort, but I think login via facebook would be nice also see that as an useful option for the patch client.

I use a spare Gmail account to log into other sites without having to register a new account with them, if they support it.Very few sites do, so I use a 3rd party password manager to automatically fill in my logon details otherwise I would be screwed.I don't want to use the same pass/username in 20-30 forums or remember 20-30 different passwords lmao
    Last edited by User45; October 9th, 2013 at 07:16 PM.
    Camp another day.
    Barbarossa

Quote Originally Posted by JoTo View Post
    Wouldnt bother with openID as I think its not much used and not worth the effort, but I think login via facebook would be nice also see that as an useful option for the patch client.
    Had a quick play with the FB connect API and although I have some problems on drupal with it works well and very secure but had a chat with a few members and the feel is that they like to keep the likes of Facebook and Twitter separate from sites they register on - The basics is that only the Email address is exchanged with the external site no passwords exchanged the API performs security link only exchange with Facebook and not user security - You have to login to Facebook for the API to allow sign on with the external site but NO security details are transferred - You can allow the user to allow the likes of date of birth / Location country and a few others.

So I think it is secure but users think its a direct link to their personal area of Face book and so on so many dont like to use.............

So for me on AAAA site I get the feeling what ever solution I used its never going to be used by the masses so kind of feel I am wasting my efforts on this idea

For myself I would use FB connect so just had a look at a few sites such as www.ebuyer.com and overclockers and so on to see if thats supported but every site I checked no option for FB connect so kind think as I said in the first thread every one wants something but no one really using and the big boys all doing their own thing with no standard so its just a cat fight for a very small % of users who do use one of the options