Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Reborn Client / MOHAAC / MMDL

Banned

why do you need drupal?

for this to be done correctly, mirrors shouldnt need anything apart from the files imo.

The single map DB php script should redirect players requests to the correct file download link, even if its on another server.

if one server goes down, it just uses another..

if the main is down, the main php script is also mirrored on the other links, so that a downloader can point to that instead.

need a diagram?

Banned

of course that's one way, another would be to have a second database, on a second server, but then they could fall out of synq.

what do people think anyway?

I would be happy to write the request script in whatever language your server uses.

The map/mod database is Dupral based right now, but anyway up to you guys what you make of it. Elgan your the man for Linux ?

Banned

nope, hence why I released original mohaa patch only for windowa and said to the world stuff you linux ppl :P

Quote Originally Posted by Elgan View Post
    of course that's one way, another would be to have a second database, on a second server, but then they could fall out of synq.

what do people think anyway?

I would be happy to write the request script in whatever language your server uses.
    Hi - at present its a Drupal based Website but the database it uses is standard mysql......

The Only reason I was going to mirror the existing AAAA Drupal site was to be quick fix for hosting the files as both Reborn and MMDL use HTTP as option so still need some sort of basic web server to host the http files.

Happy to just sync / export the database to the new server but we are going to need someone with some Linux skills to configure the mysql database from my export and host http on it.

So think your idea will be a lot better if we can get all this working

Banned

"o configure the mysql database from my export and host http on it."

Why? If all the files are on both servers, why do you need a second sql that will need syncing too?

just do this:

<?php

//display all maps from SQL with their ID's

function getMap( $id_from_sql )
    {
    $is_client_from_EU = getPLACE();
    $mapname = getMapFileName ( $id_from_sql );

if(==EU)
    {
    send_file( "www.aaaahost.com/maps/ $mapname );
    }
    else
    {
    send_file( "www.otherHOst.com/maps/ $mapname );
    }

}

Your method needs a central server which needs to be up all the time if Im not wrong. Better would be a decentralized structure. Each database server would have a list of other database servers and clients updating their list of database servers on their own. If a server is down or a server getting closed, no problem then. Admins just need to maintain their list of database servers.

Banned

"the admins maintain their list" <- problem. many admins cant even setup a config.

true though, trying to make it dynamic, hm..

not like we can rely on gamespy...hah..not like game companies could even rely on gamespy :P

Heatsink can do it. Even if had the wine. Infact the more wine he had the more amazing he is

Don't need dozen of servers anyway. I think that at the moment one fast server would be more than sufficient, 2 would be overkill allready, might (hopefully !) change in future.

Quote Originally Posted by JoTo View Post
    Heatsink can do it. Even if had the wine. Infact the more wine he had the more amazing he is

Don't need dozen of servers anyway. I think that at the moment one fast server would be more than sufficient, 2 would be overkill allready, might (hopefully !) change in future.
    LMAO

One is currently distracted as got all the bits for me PC