Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little help on server settings

Default Little help on server settings

Hello peeps,

Just installed Reborn RC3.5.1 and would like some help with a few things. Please have a look.

* Setting sv_disablechat 1 results in globally disabled chat but also disabled taunts. It this a bug?
    And related: do the sv_flood cvars still have any function when global chat is disabled?

* Am I correct in assuming that stufftextdetection serves no purpose when there's no admin tools in use? I plan to rely on console for now.

* Except for Mapfix 2.4, Anti-Cham and Reborn I have no countermeasures in place. Any essentials that I am missing out on?

* Not Reborn related: I cannot get teamswitchdelay to work. No matter what value I use it still allows me switch teams whenever I want.
    Tried both set and seta g_teamswitchdelay. Ideas here?

Thanks!
    Last edited by reL; October 13th, 2012 at 04:05 PM.

Can't answer to all your questions.

But stufftextdetection is detecting stufftexts at clientside.. so it doesn't matter what the server is running. I must add that it does get false positives sometimes and kick innocent players.. you could keep it on 0 np.
    And no you're not really missing out on anything.. Reborn (+ the reborn pk3) include all crash fixes, mapfix includes the mapfixes, and anticham is just a little extra to keep out some noob cheaters..
    I don't think there is anything else you really need.. scapp-host is the best autokick out there, great banning system and stuff, so if you're not using that yet I'd advice you to use it ! (Though nothing to do with the server files).

You could always add some rcon tool with extra rcon commands to have some fun, or f*ck up the configs of hackers.

sv_disablechat is a feature, not a bug. Turn it on so everyone can focus on playing the game in case your server is full of pricks trolling the global chat or constantly annoying others with incessant use of taunts.
    sv_flood hardly concerns the chat function, its main purpose is to stop hackers from crashing your server by bombarding it with packets etc...

sv_stufftextdetection serves not only admin tools but also every mod that uses the stufftext command by checking and kicking those who modified their binaries to ignore console input from external sources.

The stock g_teamswitchdelay cvar doesn't work if I recall correctly. From RC3 onwards this is fixed but it has been implemented as a scripting command (i.e. teamswitchdelay <float delay>) as opposed to a cvar you can set.
    Interestingly, I believe this is the only scripting command that isn't yet included in the corresponding documentation: http://www.x-null.net/forums/showthr...n&goto=newpost
    I suggest using it in the DMprecache script if you want to apply changes globally for the time being.
    Last edited by Sor; October 13th, 2012 at 06:30 PM.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Shadow, did you try Stufftext Bypass Detection with newest release? It's been fixed long time ago to not kick innocent people. It kicked them because for some of the players, the response was too fast and was detected as command flood. Now patch skips the command flood if it's a stufftext bypass detection command received from player.

And no, sv_disablechat will disable also taunts as they are also a chat in some way. It's not a bug.

Aah now that you mention it, I actually did test that on an old version few days ago and the other servers still had it on 0. Will try puting it on 1 and see if anything happends, good to know

Purple Developer Purple Elephant1au's Avatar

I was on a server today which was updated to 1.15 and had stuffdetection on , and i was kicked after about 2 maps , reason was for stufftext , dont have access to logs but went through console to see why i was kicked , but does having your unnamedsoldier.cfg set to read only make it kick me ??

Purple's Playground
    OBJ :
    103.29.85.127:12203
    xfire: purpleelephant1au
    email: purpleelephant1au@gmail.com
    skydrive: PurpleElephantSkydrive

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Nope.

Well, maybe MOHAAC turns off stufftext command in the .exe ?

Thanks

My suggestion though is that sv_disablechat should not disable taunts but could be seperated if technically possible. A limiting cvar on taunts per minute or round would be a great addition to that.

Sor, I obviously misunderstood sv_flood as I thought it related to limiting client chat messages. On that note: is Reborn sv_packetantiflood an upgraded version of sv_floodprotect making the latter useless?

Really like to have that teamswitchdelay work but your explanation is over my head :| Have to read up on that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by reL View Post
    My suggestion though is that sv_disablechat should not disable taunts but could be seperated if technically possible. A limiting cvar on taunts per minute or round would be a great addition to that.
    That might be better than what there currently is. Other suggestions have been to make it so only specific clients cannot access the global chat and taunt system.
    But I think, and I'm sure I'm not the only one, that this should be sugar-coating left for later because the priority right now is to finalize the server-side patch.

Sor, I obviously misunderstood sv_flood as I thought it related to limiting client chat messages. On that note: is Reborn sv_packetantiflood an upgraded version of sv_floodprotect making the latter useless?
    Yeah, my mistake actually. I didn't notice that sv_floodprotect is actually a stock cvar. I don't mess with those settings very often but I know that the built-in flood protection was quite insubstantial so Razo introduced Reborn's
    own Packet Antiflood system which is supposed to supplement it. I'd strongly advise you to configure or change any settings related to anti-flooding only if you know what you're doing.

Really like to have that teamswitchdelay work but your explanation is over my head :| Have to read up on that stuff.
    I don't really understand, by default, I always had to wait like 10 to 15 seconds before I could switch teams again. EDIT: It appears to only work half of the time: http://www.modtheater.com/threads/ge...7/#post-341561
    Anyway, what I meant was that it works, but only as the scripting command (teamswitchdelay <float sec>) which is used in .scr scripts.

Not sure exactly why the decision was made to do it like that rather than fixing the cvar (<set/seta> g_teamswitchdelay "float sec") but I suspect it was to satisfy the people who wanted to use it for auto-teambalancers, new gametypes etc...

Banned

cant specific players be banned from chat?

I cant remember but I think I original did a point system where if they swore or used words in the bad / filter, it banned them from chat, any of that still exist? -cant we ban certain peeps from chat now? ...sorry if I remember wrong?

but taunts cud be separate, if I remember right they just have some formatting at the front as special chars? right? :S
    same for yellow and diff colours