Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Again new mod idea

Huh... but that's MoHAA's internal HUD... There's no HUD present in the spec-eye mod, at least not in the version I downloaded from the link you provided earlier.
    However if that is the HUD you say is sending faulty data then I think it's the other way around. The name is correct but the script just spectates the wrong client.
    I see the mod uses the new 'getClientId' command to identify the player entity with the corresponding client number... perhaps it is bugged and Razo should take a look.

Can you give me something concrete? I mean, I'm assuming the screenshot is just to visually support your words rather than an actual example of them?
    Anyway, I suppose I'll be using both 'getclientid' and '.entnum' to link player entities to client numbers and make a little check to see if there are any inconsistencies.
    (Not quite sure why we needed a new, seperate command for it. Entnum worked fine for almost 10 years but whatever).

EDIT: On second thought, all of this could also be traced back to the use of a camera entity. If it's being stubborn and clinging onto someone it shouldn't, that would
    explain the entire issue here. How and why this could happen I don't know. I didn't really examine the spec-eye mod thoroughly but I know the camera entity can
    be an inflexible little bugger at times.
    Last edited by Sor; October 8th, 2012 at 06:25 AM.

Hi Sor,

Just had a testrun on my server with a buddy and I can confirm the right player is followed
    but the MOHAA hud (or camera?) displays the wrong name. I made her wear a special skin so there was no confusion.

Another thing I noticed, the player I followed died (laying on her back, looking up) and stayed down for a few seconds.
    During that time another player walked over her dead body and when he did the "is looking/aiming at" messages were
    displayed in the console. Guess that shouldn't that be happening when the followed player is dead? Just a cosmetic
    issue but it might be helpfull when you smooth out the code.

By the way, those "looking/aiming at..." messages can be annoying. Maybe a cvar to toggle them on and off is helpfull?

This is the spec-mod I used, first post Download button:
    http://www.x-null.net/forums/showthr...Player-Specing

If I can help and/or test stuff for you just say the word!

***EDIT***

Another screenshot of the 'wrong name' bug. The player being spec'd is Bamby, scoping with a sniperrifle. But this time there is no "middle-left" hudname displayed at all,
    but rather the pink "bottom-left" playername is the wrong player. (it says Elmer Fudd in the screenie, but it'sBamby for sure).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Midnight1138; October 8th, 2012 at 08:14 AM.

Purple Developer Purple Elephant1au's Avatar

Should also point out that the sound still follows the player the hud is referring too , and not the one your specing . so the game still thinks your in normal spectate, the mod just places a camera behind the player you want to follow and forgets about leaving normal spectate mode.

I agree that those messages can get annoying and are delayed abit from when the person fires etc

Purple's Playground
    OBJ :
    103.29.85.127:12203
    xfire: purpleelephant1au
    email: purpleelephant1au@gmail.com
    skydrive: PurpleElephantSkydrive

Aha, then like I suspected, the camera's at fault here. For the camera to work properly (let alone the jittery movement) the admin has to be in a team, else you've got two spectator modes running at the same time.

Purple Developer Purple Elephant1au's Avatar

What if the admin was in the Free Float Spectate mode ? Then the game wouldnt try and make the admin follow all players , just the one that the admin sets it to , so it still glues the admin to the player of their choice, and also make the sound follow at the same time like it does with normal free float spectate.

Purple's Playground
    OBJ :
    103.29.85.127:12203
    xfire: purpleelephant1au
    email: purpleelephant1au@gmail.com
    skydrive: PurpleElephantSkydrive

Quote Originally Posted by Sor View Post
    Aha, then like I suspected, the camera's at fault here. For the camera to work properly (let alone the jittery movement) the admin has to be in a team, else you've got two spectator modes running at the same time.
    Doesn't the spec-mod go to spectator mode automatically when starting to follow a player, Sor?
    Or does it go wrong when starting the spec-mod while in 'normal' spectator mode? So the spectating admin should start the spec-mod
    from either alive or dead state, right?

Man, this can get confusing at times lololol!

Banned

...just to clear thigns up.

Hud name and sounds:
    This is because the mod is being used while the admin is in spectate mode, a mod to spectate while in spectate mode......The mod I'm pretty sure uses cameras and was made to spec players, so why use it while in spectate mode....you always have a spectate !!!

It;s so you can spec players without leaving and going to spec.........

Camera jitter....the original that someone made I said how to fix it, and the one I released was pretty much how I said to fix it and was no longer "the problem".

why use a camera?
    because then ur not in spectate mode?!!!
    -if you just use normal spectate...then you are already spectatting...

--------------------------

Why does it say "is aiming at" when the player died?
    -because he IS aiming at....when you die, you are hidden,,,but you are STILL there....it needs a death check yes, but actually when you die, your deactivated until you press fire..then you move...just die and don't press fire, you will see if someone walks over you....

cameras....
    I have never had problems using cameras and they work fine, planes are all based on them too.

jitter...
    because the mod before was using a glued player and not a smoothed camera taking the travel into account.

hud & sound
    because your using the mod wrong...

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

getclientid can be useful if there's an entity spawned that could be added before player entities. Then entity numeration can be different to clientnums.

I don't know, didn't check, could be, but either way being in regular spectator mode and expecting a custom one to run alongside it definitely won't work. The core problem lies with the keys, they will work for both modes at the same time.
    It's kind of like two people fighting over the TV remote and during the struggle, they keep pressing buttons to switch to their preferred channel whereupon the TV does everything except what one or both want it to do.

So yeah, they have to be alive and spawned. Maybe you haven't noticed or maybe you don't recall while playing mefy's FT mod, but a person is respawned after dying before the custom spectator mode code is run on him
    (which immediately noclips, nodraws and takes away the weapons of the player entity).

Banned

the question is:

Do admins want a spectate mod (like above, a mod where you can go into a fake spectate and view a player)

or a follow player mod
    - a mod which improves the spectate mode to always follow a certain player, and whatever else can be thought of...aiming checks...

or..both, ..and whichever activates depends on what mode the admin is in to when he activates it.