Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: forsight and reborn question

Default forsight and reborn question

hi all ...
    we on our server (linux)have had a number of crashes over the last month,with no apparant
    reason in the logfile ("server closed for unknown reason"...from the log).

after lengthy investigation by myself and the server host, no cause could be found .
    apart from the forsight scanner used by only 2 of our admins,that sends a lot of packets to the server.

so a test is under way without the scanner and so far (three days)no crashes on the server.
    i do have the cvar set to allow ip for the tool ,so maybe not a flood problem ?

i know a few have had problems with forsight kicking people for no reason,but can find nothing here for it causing server crashes..unless it has gone unreported ????

or does no one else use forsight anymore ??
    =COH=Ubersoldier/Dax
    mess with the best ,die like the rest !!!

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

What Foresight has that Reborn doesn't? Because I'm curious why people still use it.

Please post a log file.

hi Razo....
    the only thing it has that reborn does not ,is the ability to scan the server without being in the game .
    which makes it usefull to some .
    this is not a problem, just a general enquiry to see if others still use or have issues with forsight.

i did not save the logs so far ,as i am still unsure if foresight is the problem !!!
    if no crashes happen till friday ,i shall get the admins to use the scanner again and see if the crashes return .
    at which time i shall save logs .
    =COH=Ubersoldier/Dax

OK. I'll wait for the logs.

But why do you want to scan the server? Just for players list? Because with Reborn you already can disallow names, IPs, etc. without the need of constantly running scanner.

hi again ...
    scanner allows admin to "see" how many players are on the server .
    no need to run it constantly,just every now and then to check if more than 4 players and admin might be needed
    and for one of our admin from portugal,with limited english, easiest for him to use as he has used it for a long time .
    =COH=Ubersoldier/Dax

He can check this with ServerBrowser (or any other game browser) too.

Anyway, I'm waiting for logs.

Hum just to advise you razor people stilluse things like foresigth, CI or whatever to monitor and manage servers in real time, something that reborn patch cann not do.
    Even newest tools like Scaap doesn't take any advantages of the reborn new fonctions.
    So the best thing for reborn patch i think is a real admin menu that take advantage of reborn patch cvar and commands, in adition to a real server monitor that also take the advantage of reborn patch cvar and commands.
    Some servers admins that i know don't even know how use and update reborn patch, a tool like this would help alot this the majority of the persons that speak hre are users that know it.
    If i had the time and knowledge to do it i will certainly do it but sadly it's not the case... i'm still learning too^^

How can you not manage the server in real-time with Reborn? Thanks to Reborn you don't have to be online all the time to manage you're server, ie. you're not an online slave, because Reborn automatically manages a lot of things.

Everything else is just checking the players who are on the server (what for? probably just out of curiosity) and you can do this with whatever server browser you use.

Scanners were made in the days were there was no ban option in the game, they would scan player list all the time to grab status data and kick players that are on the banlist. That was a main purpose of scanners like that.
    Well you can also kick players, but how do you know one should be kicked? If this is a regular player you hate, you can also ban him, or ban his name or whatever. You can turn on voting and let players handle things by themselves.

If you want to remotely manage your server, it's enough if you use just a simple RCon utility. No need for a scanner. And indeed, I was developing one for Windows Phone 7.5.

It's enough having 5+ people using scanners like that at the same time to lag the server badly.

+ The main problem with people is they don't read anything. Thats why a lot of people are very uninformed in many social fields (this also involves Reborn patch and documentation/wiki/forum search option) and this is also why IE6 is used by more than 50% of Internet users, or was, like 4 years ago in 2008. (doesn't matter it's old as crap and many better things were done since it's release)

I did upgrade the jh administration menu that had a lot of the reborn commands in it. Had support for jims punishment and the reborn spectator mod. Am not sure how many people noticed it when I posted about it. Lol

hi .....
    we also use a full rcon/admin tool with all the reborn features but as it is a complicated tool and in english
    our portugese member struggles with a translater (google) but is familiar with forsight and knows all the functions ....
    =COH=Ubersoldier/Dax