Thread: Crash Fixes Revised

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Default Crash Fixes Revised

I think we should revise all the crash exploits that were fixed with .pk3 mods and try to look for a real cause of them and try to fix them in code. I'm sure some of them can be fixed like this and some of them should be fixed in state files.

But we should list all of them, bring the crash fixes here so we'll be sure that we didn't miss anything.
    List the names here, and PM me with instructions on how to perform them so I can look at the code and track down the problem.
    All fixes that should stay inside .pk3 mod, should be gathered, combined, and put into to repository so we'll have a starting base for everything else.
    Ths mean that we should extend and fix State Files, probably rename them, and make sure that game will always load our fixed states instead of original ones (with CVar that already exists)

Good inititive Razor!

There have been so many on-the-fly fixes the last 2 years it gets a little
    hard to see the forest from the trees.
    Any crashes that can be solved by hard-coding them into the Reborn dll instead of
    by statefiles would take preference.

I'll sift through the reborn and the out-of-the-box statefiles, compare them and
    list them in the repo so the coders can take a look.

Some statefile fixes that come to mind:

* Landsharking, from the bottom and top of ladders
    * Grenade crash fix (both the old and new way)
    * MG42 (turret) crouch fix
    * Teamswap crash (check_team_swap.scr in Mike Torso)

Reborn fixed almost all of the crashes through blocking malicious commands... the only other one is the nade spin trick which you also fixed in reborn. The original grenade crash was caused by BlackBart's nade fix. That shit doesn't work and is broken to begin with. Using the stock weapons mod, you cannot use this crash... so it's just because Blackbart is terrible.

So what are the crashes we know about?

We need a lit with all kind of crashes and how to perform them. Then we'll make sure we have everything fixed. I'm speaking here about grenade crashes (there were like 2 or 3 ways to crash the server with grenades), team swap crashes, ladder crashes, sharking and so on. We need to write it down, test it, make sure we've got it patched.

Banned

www.mods-r-us.net/help

You can probably see where I was going, and most of it actually still holds up,

Nice! I think that now we have a better possibility to create such generic library. I'd add some of the new states to make them standard.