Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: X-null mod / map Template

Tables > divs any day. Anyways, I will work on that issue. Though, I can't reproduce the scroll bars... the only thing not working right now is the files list table goes out of view if you resize your browser... this jquery script is hard to read... got to stop it from resizing the parent when columns are resized.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Tables > divs any day.
    Sorry but are you kidding me? Seriously, TABLEs should only be used to present tabular data, not to build a web page structure. DIVs should be used to group elements and to break webpage into sections, and so they should be used to build a webpage structure.

http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2...l-to-div-hell/
    http://theprofessionalspoint.blogspo...ne-to-use.html

So, you guys don't see this:

I updated some code again, check it now? http://www.mohaafiles.tk/test_kfm3

Quote Originally Posted by Razo[R]apiD View Post
    Sorry but are you kidding me? Seriously, TABLEs should only be used to present tabular data, not to build a web page structure. DIVs should be used to group elements and to break webpage into sections, and so they should be used to build a webpage structure.
    It all comes down to preference. I prefer tables, as their layout logically makes sense and is easier to work with. More on the opinion here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8...layout-in-html

I can work with Divs no problems, but I stick to tables. Divs also have their own problems and are harder to style and don't always conform to standards.
    Last edited by own3mall; September 20th, 2012 at 07:24 PM.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Now I get the scroll.

(My boss would kill me if I used tables to layout the page, but we're not in work and I'm not the boss so stick to your preferences ;p)

I'm glad you're seeing the scroll now

I think I will start creating structure and archiving mods to demonstrate. I will keep updating this thread.

Well I am just going to be honest sorry but I am still just not digging KFM, I dont see any functions that are adding value using KFM from display or access and functions which is was what I was trying to say from the start

Quote Originally Posted by heatsinkbod View Post
    Well I am just going to be honest sorry but I am still just not digging KFM, I dont see any functions that are adding value using KFM from display or access and functions which is was what I was trying to say from the start
    In my opinion, what the MOHAA community needs is a file database that has the following features:

• Easily upload files in less than 1 minute per file.
    • Anyone can upload files without registration
    • Easily administrate uploaded files and delete them upon notification of upload
    • Search for files by description, title, filename, and tags
    • Uploaded files are never deleted or lost (problem with the rest out there)
    • Files are easily downloadable

Your system is nice, but it is too complex. Installation instructions should be contained with the mod file itself. I know you're trying to add new features into your database, but they really aren't necessary and overload users with information they don't care about. What we need is something simple for users to come in, get or upload files, leave, and comeback again later. I have no idea what Joto is working on, but KFM can work. I will try to upload the mod files I have archived based on Joto's set to KFM so you can see what it will look like and operate like within the near future.

I am neutral on this, I think at the end the user will decide what system she/he prefers, both might have its advantages.

However my point was and is that the process of installation and deinstallation of content (map,mod,tools, etc.) needs to be automated. That would be the next generation of content databases imo and something that the allready existing databases currently do not offer, to name a few:
    http://www.mapraider.com/
    http://medalofhonor.filefront.com/
    http://www.mohfun-gamers.de/HP/index...te=files&cat=1

So for that purpose a webservice that runs alongside the database and serves external tools, webbrowsers or the game clients themself would be a nice thing.
    The goal is that the user then will be able to just pick a webservice link from a list of available databases, and she/he can browse and search through the available content and install the selected stuff with a single click.

I will write and open-source that webservice interface based on asp.net / mysql and also the installation/deinstallation tool as a library so other tools can make use of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JoTo View Post
    I am neutral on this, I think at the end the user will decide what system she/he prefers, both might have its advantages.

However my point was and is that the process of installation and deinstallation of content (map,mod,tools, etc.) needs to be automated. That would be the next generation of content databases imo and something that the allready existing databases currently do not offer, to name a few:
    http://www.mapraider.com/
    http://medalofhonor.filefront.com/
    http://www.mohfun-gamers.de/HP/index...te=files&cat=1

So for that purpose a webservice that runs alongside the database and serves external tools, webbrowsers or the game clients themself would be a nice thing.
    The goal is that the user then will be able to just pick a webservice link from a list of available databases, and she/he can browse and search through the available content and install the selected stuff with a single click.

I will write and open-source that webservice interface based on asp.net / mysql and also the installation/deinstallation tool as a library so other tools can make use of it.
    I agree that it would be really cool if database systems could do that! However, you'll be getting yourself into a rather difficult project that will require inputs and outputs to be perfect... which if input by the user could turn out to be a disaster or a security risk. However, I support you fully should you decide to go down this road and create an API for this. If you've got what it takes to do this... then go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by own3mall View Post
    In my opinion, what the MOHAA community needs is a file database that has the following features:

• Easily upload files in less than 1 minute per file.
    • Anyone can upload files without registration
    • Easily administrate uploaded files and delete them upon notification of upload
    • Search for files by description, title, filename, and tags
    • Uploaded files are never deleted or lost (problem with the rest out there)
    • Files are easily downloadable

Your system is nice, but it is too complex. Installation instructions should be contained with the mod file itself. I know you're trying to add new features into your database, but they really aren't necessary and overload users with information they don't care about. What we need is something simple for users to come in, get or upload files, leave, and comeback again later. I have no idea what Joto is working on, but KFM can work. I will try to upload the mod files I have archived based on Joto's set to KFM so you can see what it will look like and operate like within the near future.
    I think for the to complex part most of the added fields were requested by users from feed back, example on the map database would be screen shots and videos these were added as its difficult to find a map you have played and cant remember the map name, but yeh with ref to upload we forcing a lot of the fields as required to ensure we were getting the content entered but your right it was taking to long to add one new record so we have stripped out most of the required fields now so a lot quicker to add.

With the MOD database the install instructions are still in the files if available but added to the display record so users are able to add comments / questions if they have a problem...

Would say downloads are simple though and search and find very easy, at present I have not set up a bulk download feature but this will be added where you can select multi files and also on the map side we will be adding single file map packs split into type where 100's can be downloaded in one file and so on.......

For bulk uploads this is more difficult because the last thing we wanted was a bulk file store we got that all over the place already as in FTP hosted maps and mods and so on the whole point is to get more info about the maps and mods IMO.

We now have about 330 maps thanks to the efforts of Shadow, some with a lot of content detail and then many with just basic info but enough to enable to find the map you are after but extra content can be added.......

With the search terms for example say castle you can find every Castle based map very quickly

Anyway once your ready just give us a shout if our existing content is of any use and can be imported into KFM, I guess it would be easy enough if I sent you a copy of the AAAA mysql and you could just select the files and fields you wanted and marry them up to your fields just for the import - at present not many on the mod side but the map side growing quick.

But yeh defo for what Joto is saying for the auto side )))