Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: X-null mod / map Template

Yeah, I hear you heatsink. You've done great work as well, and I think it's wonderful that we have someone as dedicated as yourself working to improve the community.

What I'm thinking I could do to KFM:

Change the default view to table (list) view... show mod description in the table for each file, download button, direct download link, make the table look pretty cool, and all the searching already works based on file name and tags. This is the most simple solution, as anyone can upload mods. I've created an addon for it already that sends out a notification email to admins who can click a link and delete all files uploaded or delete them one at a time incase they are spam... anti-spam questions are in place, but I doubt they will be perfect... might add additional anti-spam controls.

Let's see what razo thinks. I like your solution as well, don't get me wrong, but it's not open enough or simple enough to allow anyone the ability to upload / organize mods easily or quickly.
    Last edited by own3mall; September 9th, 2012 at 10:25 PM.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Well if you have enough strong will to dig and edit KFM core then I say, go for it. For me it would be easier to write something fresh from scratch but I want to give a free hand to anyone willing to take up this task. So again, if you have a vision of it, I'd be more than happy seeing you doing this. You know what we wrote about the case, so it should be a matter of taking our thoughts into consideration. And these are just 3 things:

1. DB syncing (yes, please do it, you can ask about any technical details here, because I feel like I didn't explain it very well)
    2. Universal DB structure with future features and extensions in mind. Also make it as much compatible with what AAAA has as it can be, so even if it differs, we can migrate the data easily.
    3. Easy way to use the backend logic with different templates and styles (so each site can have it integrated with their style etc.)

You've done some great work on other projects over here, so I'm not afraid of lack of your skills, and I'm sure you'll do a good job. Start with the work.

If you need any help, write here.

Show us your progress as often as you can so we can talk about it, bring suggestions and feedback.

OK, I'm making some huge progress on KFM... this is gonna look sweet when I'm done with it.

http://www.mohaafiles.tk/test_kfm2/

Where it says "Show Files As:", choose "List". It shows filename, file description, size, date, type. I will be adding filetitle and a big green download button to the table (since right clicking on it will be confusing... but it can still be downloaded that way as well). List view will be the default view when I'm done. The table will be revamped to look awesome --- right now it's smushed. I'll get rid of the rockets background and make it take up 100% of your monitors width... with a new banner of course. I'm testing this as I go along, but I think it will be very cool.... the structure I will eventually create for files will resemble http://www.mohaafiles.tk/test_kfm/ (WITHOUT the 2, BUT THIS IS NOT THE VERSION I'M WORKING ON... it serves as another example of what KFM can do structurally in terms of directories).

I am interested in trying to get the DB's to sync, but that needs to come after I've completed my much improved kfm system. ooooo, I am so excited. This is working the way I want it to, and the DB structure of KFM actually resembles what I posted in my pdf in previous posts.

Once this is done, I plan on purchasing a domain with mohaafiles or something with moh and files in it. I'd be willing to host this system on my dedicated Kansas City server for optimal speeds. And just to let you all know... I never have once disappeared from the MOHAA community, and even if I did, I would still support my previous projects like I have everything else I've done in my life. I make great backups and wouldn't let this die. Too bad I wasn't in the mod grabbing phase years ago since I figured this was the mentality everyone else used. But... we lost a lot of good stuff.
    Last edited by own3mall; September 10th, 2012 at 09:53 PM.

And heatsink, if you want me to make that upload form work for your database, let me know. I'd be willing to finish what I started after I get KFM looking good. Then each can have it's fair chance... though I really think KFM is the way to go. I would need to tie into your member table to make users login before uploading files and I'd need to know where your files are stored. I probably forgot something else I'll need to know, but we'll work on that later.
    Last edited by own3mall; September 10th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

mmm well got some things I need to say because this is going off track from what we already been through and kind of not sure as we are going over old ground again and some circles ((

We are not going to resolve this until we all back the same direction and project plan and I dont see that now ((............ and I am sure Joto will tell me off also )))

Having Said that yes Own3mall you will pull this off and make a fantastic job of it but any venture will only work if their is content and I know lack of content will be the problem and honestly its a bitch of a time clock to get the content started !!

An example is that it would normally take at least!! 15 mins to create one map entry on AAAA Map database - The Reason is we had set the submit form entry very high and demanding to ensure a lot of the fields were entered so we had a very high quality on a submitted map - We wanted to know the creator and how to install and what the map content was, we wanted screen shots and video examples and so on but we felt if we were going to do it then lets get the info from start............

The problem is both myself and Shadow created the bulk of the existing content and its been a ball basher and way to time consuming but you can see from the first generation of existing content how much time we have spent on it...............

So Shadow tonight asked me to try and allow a bulk upload so we turned of restrictions on fields and he uploaded over 15 maps very quick.

Now these are low on content so Map name and file and a few other fields - the plan is now the rest of the community will help build the content such as screen shots and ratings and so on............

Map database Examples old and new -: http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/AAAAMOHAA/c...map-database-0

I have no problem with KFM but again all I ask is we stick to the existing database http://www.mega-clan.co.uk/moddatabase.doc - thats not user level or input but just the basic database field names (I know some may seem crap but they are low level names) thats all I wanted from the start but now it looks like your going to start fresh and their is no way I can reverse engineer Drupal to link to a new structured database so we will end up with your MOHAA files and then what on X-null ?? and so on. IMO I already done all this on Drupal so kind of thought the only issue was getting it off Drupal and Database access ready for all to present and input on their own vision

I think what I am trying to say is as from the start of all these threads is to have a single database - I just asked for the existing AAAA DB names to be used and improved so I dont end up with a wasted project.........

I will just end up running AAAA MAP/MOD Database on my own as is and no easy way to export to others or import...................

I can only do this project if we all have the same direction having been trying since this http://www.mohaaaa.co.uk/AAAAMOHAA/node/10 , but I made a start on a map / mod project myself as I knew Joto would be busy on the rest of SCAPP and so many other projects.

I was not happy with other solutions, now I think we are just going to end up going in different directions, which is cool but I kind of going to step back as I cant see how I can build on what I have already done or what X-null wants or where you want to be as in my eyes I all ready done this - I thought the issue was only template and multi site level now it just seems we are going to start from scratch and thats cool and wish you the best of luck but kind of dont see how I can help and having been here and done it dont want to start from scratch again as been down this path already and have an open solution

As for the patch functions happy to do what is required or what ever direction is required
    Last edited by heatsinkbod; September 11th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.

I know what you're saying heatsinkbod. I would ask that you give me a chance to finish my modifications to kfm, as I too have worked extremely hard on making it better and don't want it to go wasted. It would be so quick and easy to upload several mods & maps using KFM, and I wish I could give you guys a better example of how good it is... I'm working on it. We should go with one main site where content can be uploaded easily by anyone... but it needs to be done right or we'll have too many projects and that will defeat the purpose. To be honest, I don't care where this is hosted. If x-null wants to have this system, that is fine with me. IMO it would be best to get a dedicated domain name for MOHAAFILES --- keep the site only for that. I'd have no problems releasing my source, monthly DB dumps, and userfiles if you're afraid that it would disappear... which it won't.

I'm nearing completion of my modifications. Please check it out and leave feedback. I still have to change the default view to the List, but that's easy as the setting is in the DB... I just don't have my login and password handy on this machine lol.

http://www.mohaafiles.tk/test_kfm3/

So, with the Select element next to:

Files in Current Directory

Show Files As:
    Change it to "Icons" and then change it back to "List" to see this cool list view - Please don't upload anything yet.

Things left to do:

- Create structure for mods, maps, and files
    - Upload my mod archive to demonstrate the system
    - Further testing to make sure everything works in POS IE.

I still can't scroll the page.

me too, i can't scroll like razo, i'm on chrome

Something is really flawed with the layout design. Why is it made on top of a TABLE tag? I think it should use DIVs instead. And probably some css is blocking scrolling.