Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PK3 fixes and content for new Reborn.pk3

Banned

double posting because I would love a file management system to keep pk3's up to date, which would allow auto compiling in to a latest pk3 downlods that ship with the latest patch

and a check list:
    Who can really remember all the fixes client and server needs now days?

That's not a bad idea.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

The Subversion or GIT is something I really like, but it all comes to a question -> do we use some free services out there or do we want our own SVN/Git ? If we want to host our SVN/Git, then we'll need a dedi box. This is a nice option because we could automate the process of compiling into .pk3 (zip script) and automate the process of uploading new versions for Reborn to update/download.

And imho, this is the way it should be, but we have limited funds. We can also use GitHub or RiouxSVN (I like it because you can make the project private).

And yes, I'd like to create a standarized set of library function modules, to make mods look cleaner. It saves space, makes your mod more stable and run faster (MoHAA uses some sort of a Virtual Machine for scripts, not present in FAKK2, so it may actually compile scripts to some semi opcodes, and this means that the less repetitive code the better)

Since we have a Wiki now, and we've done a lot of modifications in Script Engine, I think it's not a bad idea to force or at least suggest some coding standards.
    If we'll develop mod loader, then we should cut on mod conflicts up to 50% (another 50% would be state files conflicts).

Finding player is so common and well known task that we could add it to a library. Mods will be more cleaner and so on. Of course, it'll be up to us to update some existing mods and show others how it should be done "reborn style"

For the checklist, we should start a bug tracker or Redmine (or something similar)

I'm all for standardization. The only problem I have had with creating the few mods that I have is if I include a version of string.scr in my mod, and then it gets updated and another mod uses newer functions, but my mod overwrites strings.scr with an older version, now the new mod has problems.

I had this problem once, so I started just putting in bits of code from strings.scr directly into the .scr file so that I didn't have to worry about this.

Now if we are putting strings.scr, and files.scr into Reborn, this will be awesome because I wouldn't have to worry about this, and coding will be much easier and cleaner.
    Sorry if I've caused you grief Elgan by not always using strings.scr, etc... but that was the reason I stopped using it. Now I won't have to worry about it. The other thing I've always wondered is, by constantly execing other mods, such as strings.scr, will that cause more lag than just threading it in the same file?

With files.scr....when I was making the ip2country mod, I tried using files.scr, but it took a very long time to read the large ip file. It may have even crashed...I can't remember....so I just put all the reading/writing right inside the script and it worked fine.

Banned

originally files.scr was made to help me read/write files and parse it as an ini file, or was it xml? I forget.

at the time I had to write a checking and safe readfile, since the patch has been updated it may need checking over, but really, it should still work as elgbot should still work.

the bug was with empty files, but otherwise it should be fine...
    unless it has a bug if the file is corrupted?

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Well, nothing will stop modders from using raw functions, but libs will make it easier, faster and cleaner (especially for beginners and we intend to bring more players back and encourage them to create new content for the game)