Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Patch Progress

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

Unfortunately, Windows build is unstable and it crashes during map changes. I'm still tying to find the reason.. I've fixed most of the problem of Linux build though, but I didn't have time to investigate traced memory leaks yet..

Quote Originally Posted by Razo[R]apiD View Post
    Unfortunately, Windows build is unstable and it crashes during map changes. I'm still tying to find the reason.. I've fixed most of the problem of Linux build though, but I didn't have time to investigate traced memory leaks yet..
    RR, I and ley0k discovered the issue of traced while in chat. Consult one of us privately for solution .
    PS: I'm willing to fix other issues/crashes if I could get my hands on the source code, provided that time allows ofc.
    Last edited by RyBack; February 1st, 2019 at 09:33 AM.

I know RR was working on getting access to the source. Ryback actually ported some of the features into SH and BT as well.

I want to give my opinion about what Ryback and James were talking on discord
    about the Reborn Project being closed source.

(Sorry for posting this here and not in discord, but I think type of discussions have more value here in the forum than in discord, where it get lost easily in the chat history.)

So, from what I understand, the main reason for the Reborn Project being closed source is to not give important info
    to people who make cheats, so they can't bypass the serverside protections.

IMO, the anticheat features are the least important/used part of the reborn patch
    The most important features in Reborn are the anti crash/flood fixes, seconded by the new scripting commands. This is what really helped to keep the game alive

if you check the "patchver" output on most popular servers you will see this:

antistwh: most servers uses it. It works perfect.
    recoilemulation: few servers uses it, it gives false positives most of the time.
    stufftextdetection: no one uses it, It works but gives a lot of false positives (it kicks people from the server). and Purple suggested an easy way to fix this 5 years ago. (still unfixed).
    antiwallhack: no one uses it, too glitchy to be used. people always complain when it's On. (the concept is great though)

To this day, cheaters can still use basic wallhacks (noDepthTest shaders) on public servers (the anticham script is ultra easy to bypass)
    The best anticheat on Reborn servers is still the human eye. And alphamac for private matches OFC.

I agree with RyBack, I don't see a valid reason to keeping it closed source
    The best thing RR could do for the good of the reborn project and the mohaa community is to release the source code and pass the leadership to RyBack.
    We, as a community need to keep this alive. and now we have RyBack, He is trusted, He have the skills and He have TIME!
    @RR what are you waiting for?
    It's been 6+ years without any update or fix. and the more time passes, the less the people will care about this dead game

Would be nice to hear everyone's opinion on this (please)

also, I'm not gonna give details, but I found a very easy way to crash servers with cheats enabled (3rd person servers), that can be fixed with the patch. that's why I asked for updates a month ago

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
    The best thing RR could do for the good of the reborn project and the mohaa community is to release the source code and pass the leadership to RyBack.
    We, as a community need to keep this alive. and now we have RyBack, He is trusted, He have the skills and He have TIME!
    @RR what are you waiting for?
    It's been 6+ years without any update or fix. and the more time passes, the less the people will care about this dead game
    Oi calm down fam haha.
    I already have access to reborn source code and am currently migrating reborn codebase to NightFall, and taking care of ugly code in the process.
    I just happen to have time cuz I'm in the same stage RR was in when he was doing reborn, it'll go away soon enough(I have no idea if I'll manage after uni).
    One of main purposes for developing NightFall is to not make it dependent on a single person. If I'm doing NightFall now, 5 years later someone else might be doing it. (OpenMOHAA is the same, it started with Inequation & Wombat, but then Ley0k was the only dev, and then I was too for some time).
    That's the whole point of open source.

I've decided to keep the following closed source: antiwh, antistwh, norecoil, stufftext bypass, and network related stuff(flood filters or smth).
    I was asking several ppl on discord, including James, why was reborn closed source because most protection/anti* stuff in reborn are server-side. Theoretically, even if opensource, protections won't be bypassable.

I was also planning on moving talk to here so thanks Zappa for the effort saved me a bit of time ^^.

I know you have access to the source, but you are making NightFall, another project with another name
    What will happen with Reborn once you are done porting all features to NighFall?
    What will happen with all the serverside and clientside stuff Razor never got to release?
    What will happen with this forum, (known as the Reborn forum)
    What will be the next step for server admins? (99% of mohaa servers are using the Reborn patch right now)

I'm asking this, (and sorry if I sound anoying) because the last public information
    about the status of the patch is Razor trying to fix the last test update over a year ago
    There is no other info than that.
    So I, and everyone else looking the forums can only guess what's hapening with Reborn in the background

Wold be very nice to see a "realistic" roadmap for the near future of Reborn and NighFall

Quote Originally Posted by Zappa View Post
    I know you have access to the source, but you are making NightFall, another project with another name
    What will happen with Reborn once you are done porting all features to NighFall?
    What will happen with all the serverside and clientside stuff Razor never got to release?
    What will happen with this forum, (known as the Reborn forum)
    What will be the next step for server admins? (99% of mohaa servers are using the Reborn patch right now)

I'm asking this, (and sorry if I sound anoying) because the last public information
    about the status of the patch is Razor trying to fix the last test update over a year ago
    There is no other info than that.
    So I, and everyone else looking the forums can only guess what's hapening with Reborn in the background

Wold be very nice to see a "realistic" roadmap for the near future of Reborn and NighFall
    Zappa - Ryback isn't the only one with source for everything. It's a number bigger than 5 at the very least. If Ryback goes away, plenty of people still have the source code. It's not going to disappear. Same for nightfall, etc.

I can't speak for Razor, but honestly Nightfall might be the next best thing we can stick with.
    Todes mentioned on Discord he suggests stripping out all the "features" out of reborn and putting them into Nightfall (Which I believe Ryback is already adding), and let Reborn focus JUST on the serverside fixes.
    I'm not opposed to that idea, but since both require modifying the gamex wrapper; it would seem they are dependent on each other; which might cause issues (unsure)...

If we do end up splitting them up; then there is some talk about keeping Nightfall Open source, which could potentially bring some more life into the game and some interest to other dev's who would like to expand on those features. In the mean time, Reborn could remain closed\private sourced and be updated whenever we have time. Realistically speaking; it would probably be updated much less than Nightfall would be updated when new features get implemented.

I'll try to get RR to post back on here and share his feedback. I do agree though that Reborn is long overdue an update. At least something.

Purple Developer Purple Elephant1au's Avatar

I do (did? ) have access to the code, and while I have some great ideas for the patch, its the time I don't have which many of us can related to.
    I will look this weekend at seeing if I can atleast get it to compile ( new PC means no build tools anymore ).

Purple's Playground
    OBJ :
    103.29.85.127:12203
    xfire: purpleelephant1au
    email: purpleelephant1au@gmail.com
    skydrive: PurpleElephantSkydrive