Thread: Reborn RC 3.5.1 Lag

Default Reborn RC 3.5.1 Lag

Hi Guys,

I've noticed since version 3 of reborn that whenever a player connects to the server, players that are already in the server and playing lag briefly while the player connects even if the connect event is not registered in a script. I'm grateful for the anti-flood, but the fact that players connecting to a server causes everyone else in the server to lag doesn't really make Reborn look too good. Razo, is there anything you can do about it? It's more prevalent and causes more lag when there are higher numbers of players. I think it has something to do with the fact that people connecting to server have 3000+ pings initially.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

I will add an option to disable the anti-flood so you will be able to test if thats the case.

Yes I noticed this too, but I do have events. Connected, spawn and intermission handlers.
    It's indeed very brief but noticeable. I thought it was just me

Quote Originally Posted by Razo[R]apiD View Post
    I will add an option to disable the anti-flood so you will be able to test if thats the case.
    Sounds good, but I still don't understand why the anti-flood causes pings to raise into the 1000s when connecting... this just doesn't make sense... are you using a wait frame or something to determine whether or not the connection is from a player or bot???

Banned

What mods you got trying the events
    or file io?

own3mall, you are misunderstanding this ping issue.

Challenge Ping is something different from normal ping that player has. Challenge Ping is not his real ping. Challenge is a 4byte number that is generated by server and sent to client when he sends a "connect" packet.

Client gets it and resends to server. This is kind of a three way handshake you have in TCP/IP which estabilishes connection. MoHAA uses UDP protocol which is stateless, which means that there isn't something like connection or session. Challenge key is like a session cookie in HTTP.

Challenge Ping is the time between sending the key to client and receiving it from the client. Because of the anti-flood, this time is higher because of the anti-flood that adds to this time. (more code to execute on the servers end, before the server checks the challenge ping times).

It's not raising real players ping in any way.

The scheme looks like this:
    ----------------------------------

Server generates challenge -> measure and save time
    Send challenge to client -> takes time
    Client sends the challenge back -> takes time
    Receive challenge from client -> measure the time and substract from previously saved time. We have our challenge ping in miliseconds.

With anti-flood

Server generates challenge -> measure and save time
    Send challenge to client -> takes time
    Client sends the challenge back -> takes time
    Anti-Flood -> check if this player is flooding the server (check the amount of packets sent) -> takes time
    Receive challenge from client -> measure the time and substract from previously saved time. We have our challenge ping in miliseconds.

----------------------------------

Additional time that anti-flood introduces is included in challenge ping, thats why it's higher than normal. Challenge ping should also raise with GsProtector.

Quote Originally Posted by Elgan View Post
    What mods you got trying the events
    or file io?
    Nothing but elgbot.

OK Razo, that makes more sense, but it would be nice if the connecting players didn't cause the players that have already connected to lag (if possible).

I don't know if anti-flood is causing this. As I said, I will prepare a version with anti-flood toggeable and you will be able to test this.