Thread: autodownload feature & disabling pk3s

Lightbulb autodownload feature & disabling pk3s

According to me this issue is definitely known by everyone, but I'd like to complete it with some ideas.

Two types of files would be available: obligatory to download and recommended to download.
    The frist one would contain those files that are needed or simply set to play on the certain server. The second option would include the files that aren't nessessary, but offered to increase the game experience perhaps. The selection would be very uncomplicated, players have to tick off the wanted ones and press a 'Start download' button as well.

btw, would be also perfect if the players will able to disable custom pk3s easily, or having an ability for dmw/server to do it automatically.

The idea is fabulous and actually I was thinking of doing something like this. I've already worked out a pretty nice menu (even post the tut on tmt), the only problem is that it's clientside haha. Although it is very possible to do, and I do agree with the "required" download & an optional download to enhance game play. Great ideas once again! Thanks for sharing.

btw, would be also perfect if the players will able to disable custom pk3s easily, or having an ability for dmw/server to do it automatically.
    This could lead to a potential problem with pk3 cheats though if it can be toggled. PK3's are actually loaded at the start of the game (going off memory here, but I think there is a command called like fsgamearchive or something that loads the extension). Once it's loaded into a game, the only way (aside from scr's) to toggle it off\on would be by unloading the pk3 and doing a vid_restart ingame.

Über Prodigy & Developer Razo[R]apiD's Avatar

I guess he meant that when autodownload feauture will be complete and ppl will start joining servers that has some stuff to be downloaded, clients will download it but after this, you will have like >100 mods in main and it would be nice to have some option to choose which ones to turn off and on.. like.. you decide what game will load at startup or some special directory where downloaded game mods will be stored so they won't messup your main and you will be safe when you delete something from there or move it out of mohaa dir at all.

Razo is right.

The main mohaa dirs should be 'clean' and would be awesome if they wouldn't be modifiable. This type of storing mods should be rather user-friendly.
    Furthermore we should seperate a folder to translations too. I think the ability of multilanguage system would make the translation installing easier and it would also be updateable. But first and foremost the special characters (for example: áéóúä) should be supported generally.

I know that in Call of Duty UO the game loads up normally and you can either pick a mod to turn on from a list before entering the server, or once you connect to the server that runs it the mod is run for you. Each of the mods is contained in its own folder within main.