View Poll Results: Life of an admin running 2.5 beta with all features turned on !!!

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no cheaters on my server any more

0 0%
  • I now have only the odd cheater on my server

2 25.00%
  • I still have a few cheaters but not many

3 37.50%
  • I have many cheaters still

3 37.50%
  • I

1 12.50%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Life of an Admin fighting the Cheats..........

Question Life of an Admin fighting the Cheats..........

Well It's been a long time since the birth of MOHAA in January 2002 so where are we with the fight against the scum of all FPS games (well hell just about all games are hell with cheaters and for the love of god does punkbuster do jack!!!)

So IMO all scanners are now useless for MOHAA with the level of hacks available so where are we at running with the mighty 2.5 Beta...........

For me 2.5 has ended the days of the old scanners..............(tiz a great thing) also sad that some of the old scanners have not moved with the times

So if you are an Admin and have 2.5 Beta running with all protection turned on how do you feel - what sort of cheats are you seeing still, post some screen shots and explain what sort of cheats you are seeing.
    Last edited by heatsinkbod; September 20th, 2011 at 10:55 AM.

Well for me on a few servers with Reborn I am seeing Aim bot style and also wire hack I think, I also see some sort of network balance issue but not patch related so off topic..........
    As regards the network side its not lag as my ping is same when it happens its like MOHAA is out of sync in some way I say this now on patch but its not a patch problem because I see it non patched servers also ..........
    So its not so much as a cheat as an issue / bug - Well we see if anyone else can feed back on this if they have seen it but its like you can connect and play an amazing game with normal ping and then you play same server same ping and every player has the edge in response.

I don't see it much now so not sure if patch has stopped it but some sort of player in game hyper/teleporter where player disappears to another area when no teleporters in game.

As above one shot kills so some form of aimbot
    Last edited by heatsinkbod; September 20th, 2011 at 12:10 PM.

Well unfortunately, as much as I support this game, community and the patch, I don't have the time these days to game anymore, but from what I've seen & heard from other gamers, I am quite happy with how far the patch has come.

hsb, to follow up with your concerns above.
    1. Wirehacks are a type of visual hack, and this should NOT be a issue. Let me break it down.
    Wireframe chams or walls are just clientside rendering, so even if someone were to make walls transparent or wireframe, the patch will STILL stop players from rendering if they're not supposed to be rendered because it doesn't matter how the wall is visually rendered clientside; it only matters that there is a wall and since the traces are serverside (just like walls are serverside) there is absolutely no way I can think of to bypass that. So you shouldn't have to worry about wireframes. Now if I'm mistaken, please let me know.

2. Aimbots can't be stopped serverside. They can only be stopped clientside since it's entirely calculated clientside and doesn't require server <--> client communication, HOWEVER if it were stopped clientside, it could just as easily be bypassed. Despite the fact that it can't be stopped serverside, we DO have a few ideas for detection of aimbots that imo should be pretty accurate and should stop most if not all bots.
    This will be implemented in the patch in the future, however isn't implemented yet.

I get a massive amount of cheaters flowing through my server, various types - but the biggest problem without a doubt is definitely wallhack. It is the single most frustrating cheat available, the rest can be handled with on a noticeable basis. But wallhack just makes it so time consuming for an admin because you really need to closely spectate someone you suspect and even at that only an experienced eye can identify someone that is truly using wallhack (some more obvious than others of course) - the more experienced players being the most difficult to catch. Not only that but so many players freely have it available, so short of banning everyone there is not much you can do. I think one of my recent posts shows my frustration with this.

However I have now upgraded to the 2.5 Gamma (not sure if it is fully functioning correctly), I have turned on anti-wallhack which really is superb, though you do suffer a little:

- On a previous release players vanished when they were slightly behind you + on spectator mode you couldn't see the players body, now you can see their body on spectate which is great.
    - With the latest release when you kill someone their body disappears as soon as they are shot so you dont see them die properly, which I guess is tolerable but is a little strange - hopefully that can be resolved in a future release.
    - I also have found it to heavily lag the server once it starts to fill up (blazing mentioned this in the chat box) but I am running up to 28 players frequently, so I am above the tested threshold of around 20.

Either way a massive thanks to the team for all their time and efforts, excellent work all round - for me if wallhack can be countered against then all is good.

How many clients connect before you notice the lag? And is it your server CPU lagging can you check ?

Hard to tell at the moment blazing, but I will monitor and give you some better feedback. When it was running earlier today the server was pretty full, there were lag spikes in the general game play but quite noticeable on round restart. So each time the map round restarted there was quite a bit of lag which was delaying the game play. I have turned it off again for now, but will put it back on later tonight when it is a little quieter - then I can try and work out what limit it starts to lag.

Hi - yeh most of our testing for AAAA is only round the 20 players so unsure 20 + - It does depend on a few factors like what mods you have running on the server - For Base assault v1 we were unable to use patch due to the mod, some other tips would be turn developer mode off in config set it to 0 this stops a lot of traffic to log files. Also if running mods prior to turning developer off try and fix any errors that show in your log.

Also if your now on Gamma try the new mode 4 ANTIWH Razor mentioned on other post this may help lag - we have tryd it and did see less blinking as well

Hi guys, just a quick update on this for your information...

I have turned anti-wh back on again with the setting to 4 and what a difference it has made. The lag has really reduced all round and the player pings are looking not too bad either, at the moment that is for around 22-24 players in the server. Another good thing that I have noticed is when players are killed they are no longer disappearing as soon as they are shot, instead you get to see them animate when they die which is great also.

In terms of it's purpose I am really pleased and will be keeping this feature on permanently from now on - only downside I would say is that there are still certain key places on the map where you can see through the walls and anticipate the movements of other players. If anyone wants to test for themselves feel free to jump in the server and you will see what I mean.

Either way it is a massive step in the right direction

Quote Originally Posted by heatsinkbod View Post
    Hi - yeh most of our testing for AAAA is only round the 20 players so unsure 20 + - It does depend on a few factors like what mods you have running on the server - For Base assault v1 we were unable to use patch due to the mod, some other tips would be turn developer mode off in config set it to 0 this stops a lot of traffic to log files. Also if running mods prior to turning developer off try and fix any errors that show in your log.

Also if your now on Gamma try the new mode 4 ANTIWH Razor mentioned on other post this may help lag - we have tryd it and did see less blinking as well

We have 30 to 35 in at a night and it does lag a little . RC3 Seems to lag that bit more for some reason but also we was with killercreations co-lo and they merged with gaming deluxe but was told gaming deluxe would be the same preformance could be a slight factor who knows . . But its to be expected probly the game engine cant really deal with that many players that good (Old game) , Cos even though we have a fast machine dont make a difference that much ..

We dont use all the functions due to freeze tag and we see players with players on backs and i hate to see people vanish for no reason when they go behind a post :P so most functions are off . But are server has admins on alot to deal with the problems .
    Last edited by gkdestroyer; May 1st, 2012 at 12:29 AM.

Destroyer,

I have found that with about 20 -25 players the server starts lagging.
    But it has always been like that, even before the days of the Reborn patch.
    Like you said it's probably because the games in those days (10 years ago) were
    not -that- sophisticated when it comes to handle more than 20 players.