Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with custom MOHAA resolution

Default Problems with custom MOHAA resolution

Hi,
    I'm running MOHAA on a Windows 7 - 64 bit machine (laptop). I've changed the resolution to a custom one 1366x768 to run the game fullscreen , but everytime i want to take a screenshot of my game (F12), it exits and shows this error message. (see the screenshot attachment)
    I used these cmds to make the game fullscren: r_mode -1 ; r_customwidth xxxx ; r_customheight xxxx ; vid_restart.
    How can i have the fullscreen game and still be able to make screenshots?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails problem.jpg  

I'm not at home atm, but I know when I had MOHAA on my laptop I ran it with that resolution as well and it worked fine. When I get home I'll let you know my config settings.

EDIT:
    Try making these changes through your config file as opposed to in game:

In unnamedsoldier.cfg

seta r_fullscreen "1" <-- Not sure if this is correct, please double check the command, but make sure it's in fullscreen mode.
    seta r_customwidth "1366"
    seta r_customheight "768"
    seta r_mode "-1"

Make sure that the newconfig.cfg file doesn't have read only rights. Also, what I would do is make a backup of this file and delete the original. When you startup the game the first time after making the above changes in unnamedsoldier.cfg it should recreate the newconfig.cfg file with the appropriate settings.

Hope this helps!

This doesn't works. If i use one of the resolution that MOHAA has in his settings it's all ok, i can make screenshots, but if i use a custom resolution MOHAA crashes with that erorr , or the images are distorted (see the pic). I dont think MOHAA has support for wide screens, and this is why it's happening. I just tried to use a custom resolution that will take advantage of all my screen size ... And the biggest problem is that i can not use MOHAAC with a custom resolution becouse every time MOHAAC screenshots my game, mohaa crashes with the error , so I'm stuck to play it at 1024x768 to have a 4:3 ratio. (but my screen res is 1366x768, so i can't use all my display size - fullscreen.). Other ideas?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails distorted.jpg  

i have the exact problem in 1366*768, but i think screenies are possible only with some resolution ( originals + some comon others), others may not work like 1366*768. need more testing.

Weird, I'm running a Windows 7 x64 desktop and I run MoHAA in r_mode -1 with r_customwidth 1920 and r_customheight 1080 no problem.
    MoHAA supports widescreen if you set a widescreen resolution. I'm curious, how old is your laptop? I've encountered this error before
    in an totally unrelated situation but if I remember correctly, I think this means you ran out of RAM

It's possible that r_mode -1 was just a developer thing and not meant to be used by users, which could mean that the algorithm for it
    was poorly written which caused MoHAA to exceed its main memory (this being the big chunk of RAM that the game allocates at startup
    for rendering and binaries...).
    Depending on how much RAM was available at the time, the game might have gotten less RAM then it may require to run stably.
    So, basically, try shutting down some programs and services before playing the game.

Cool distortion, though.
    Morpheus Script (MoH) => You try to shoot yourself in the foot only to discover that MorpheusScript already shot your foot for you.

Hi Sor, my laptop is from 2011-2012. I have 8 GB of RAM memory on it. The funny thnig is that I also use a custom resolution on my computer, and i have no problems. But on the laptop happens that ...

Quote Originally Posted by val View Post
    i have the exact problem in 1366*768, but i think screenies are possible only with some resolution ( originals + some comon others), others may not work like 1366*768. need more testing.
    hi val, yes indeed. using the original resolutions from mohaa all works, but when using 1366x768 it doesn't. anyway if someone will find a fix for this, please share it

Huh, I see... so the problem might be because 1366x768 isn't an exact 16:9 aspect ratio (unlike 1920x1080 for instance) but a value close to it, and thus its base X and Y cannot be represented integrally.
    These weird kinds of resolutions weren't around back in the day and so the multipliers used on the base X & Y cannot reproduce the integral resolution and its coordinates.

Why that translates to a memory error I don't know, but there are a few ways I can think of. I'd try a resolution that's very close to 1366x768 and has a proper, integral aspect ratio.
    If you're too lazy to google it, another way is to divide the X resolution with the Y resolution and see if you end up with a rational number.

For reference:
    Code:
     1920/1080 (or 16:9) is 1.7777777777...
    1366/768 is 1,77864583333...
    Last edited by Sor; January 30th, 2013 at 05:04 PM. Reason: grammar
    Morpheus Script (MoH) => You try to shoot yourself in the foot only to discover that MorpheusScript already shot your foot for you.

@Sor

Indeed, you're right. I've used 1360x768 instead of 1366x768 , and all is working fine.
    So if anyoane has the same issue just read Sor's post, will do the trick. Thanks alot, i've never tought at this

haha, good to know math does come in handy sometimes haha.